The Toy Train Journey from New Jalpaiguri (NJP) to Darjeeling is a huge delight for everyone due to splendid views of Mt. Kanchenjunga.
Enjoy The Enchanting Toy-Train Ride:
Riding the Toy Train of Darjeeling Himalayan Railways (DHR) has always remained a fantasy to the tourists. The Toy Train is being operated on narrow gauge tracks and providing an important transport link to various parts of Darjeeling hills, it is the most unique railway track that offers the magnificent beauty of the mountains.
The Scenario You Can Encounter…
Where else can you find a small steam engine pulling mini coaches up the steep mountains through breathtaking landscapes and overcoming almost impossible curves using sheer creative skills? The train moves through the hilly terrain is so slow that you can often see the local school children hopping on and off the train. Sound Interesting right?
The Preparation before Boarding the Toy Train-
Want to enjoy the Toy-Train journey? Then do it now. To relish the Toy-Train Ride from NJP to Ghum (Darjeeling), firstly you have to reach Siliguri, either by flight (Bagdogra Airport) or by rail track (NJP). As the schedule of the train ride to Ghum in the morning, so you should take a leisure stay in Siliguri at one of the best hotels in Siliguri like Rajdarbar Hotel, Hotel Conclave etc.
Next morning you can start your tour. During this journey, you can explore villages and local shops on the way with children on the street waving at you which makes your journey more beautiful. For your easy hunt, here we are giving detailed information about Toy Train Ride-
1. Toy-Train Schedules-
The train (no. 52541) usually runs daily during high season. Highlighted points are-
- It departs from NJP at 8:30 am and reaches Darjeeling at 3:35 pm.
- The return train (no. 52540) departs from Darjeeling at 8 am and reaches NJP at 3:10 pm.
- It takes 7 hours to complete to reach Ghum. However, it may vary in accordance with the season.
The total distance- 88 km
Note: Train Schedule may have changed according to the season.
2. Train Stoppage Places-
Between NJP and Darjeeling, the train stops at-
- Siliguri Junction
3. Toy-Train at a Glance-
Some important information about Toy-Train you must know-
- The train is dragged by a Diesel engine.
- It usually has 2 first class coaches and a luggage van to store large luggage.
- No food is served on the train and so it is recommended to carry your water and own food.
- Some coaches do not have toilet facilities and some coaches have it.
Recent News- 2 AC coaches have been attached to the Toy Train running between NJP and Darjeeling (both for up and down journeys).
4. Toy Train Fares (updated: January 2018)-
Darjeeling to NJP: First Class- INR 1295.00; Air Conditioned- INR 1555.00
Now, the Most Important Thing, How to Book Toy-Train Ticket?
It is not easy to get tickets on the spot, particularly during the tourist season so it is better to book your tickets in advance. Here we will help you by giving the detailed information-
- The best way to book your tickets online through Indian Railway site www.irctc.co.in.
- Once you log into your account in IRCTC website, fill the form of ‘Plan my Journey’.
- For New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling, enter NJP at the ‘From Station’ and GHUM at ‘To Station’.
- Put the journey date; choose ‘E-ticket’ option for the further process. It will show you the train timings, coach class, fares and so on.
Stay In Comfort after Reaching Darjeeling-
From the Ghum Station, you can board a taxi to reach Darjeeling main town. For the sightseeing tour, you should stay in Darjeeling atleast for 3 days. There are many hotels in Darjeeling which will give you home like comfort. Among all, you can choose the best one like Sanderling Hotel, Hotel Sonar Bangla etc where the staffs are very helpful and will serve you the most delicious cuisines.
Q. What is the best season for Toy-Train Ride?
A. October, November, and December are the best months to experience the Darjeeling toy train services to get an astounding view of the surroundings.
Q. What are the best sightseeing places in Darjeeling?
A. Darjeeling, also known as ‘Queen of the Hills’ is a hill station of charming sightseeing places-
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute and Darjeeling Zoo
- Tiger Hill
- Batasia Loop
- Darjeeling Mall and Chowrasta
- Rock Garden and Ganga Maya Park
- Darjeeling Ropeway
- Japanese Temple and Peace Pagoda